So, the first Hot Donkey gig went well! The back room of The Half Moon in sunny Bishop's Stortford filled up with people and our noisy sweaty gig got underway. I played a couple of duff notes but that was drowned out by the thousands of screaming girls clamouring for our attention. By thousands of screaming girls, I actually mean our respective partners and a couple of generous friends. I'm not even sure I could cope with screaming girls at my age. They would just annoy me and probably drown out the sound of John Humphreys shaking his fist at the sky on Radio 4.
So, now that we have our first gig done, it is probably time to get a bit more recording done. We've got at least an albums worth of material sitting on my hard drive...
But before any of that I figured it was time for a well earned rest. Unfortunately we are a bit skint so the well earned rest consisted of a trip to the in-laws in Devon - usually a time of wine, which is welcome, and lie-ins, which are rare. This will be the first time that we've all gone down on the train (since the car recently started making funny groaning noises and bits of it keep exploding or dropping off) so you can probably imagine my joy at dragging a 2 year old on a 3 hour train journey. As we got on the train, I noticed the looks on the faces of the people around us. It seems we have become the "people you don't want to sit next to". It's perfectly understandable. I don't like being near other people's children. They're always horrible little monsters with strange habits and even stranger smells. My own little monster is perfect, of course. Apart from when faced with a journey consisting of 2 cabs and 2 trains and hundreds of shuffling people all desperately trying to figure out which direction to walk in. Most of these people are dragging those little cases on wheels. Big cases on wheels are brilliant. Little cases on wheels are stupid and make the owner look like a pathetic feeble prat. Carry it, you lazy fuck.
But I needn't have worried. My young terror was very well behaved and it all tickled along nicely. A few days later and a big birthday thing occurred. I don't like to talk about it.
And now I have a few days to myself and I'm getting stuck back into the music again. Got a few new ones lined up and, as I said before, we have quite a few completed tracks ready to go. And work has already begun on this years Xmas giveaway track!
So this is my last evening of no work, no responsibility and no end to this pile of chocolate and booze I got given... To that end I am sitting on my sofa, watching crap telly with a Dr Who scarf on (a total genius present from Daryl) and a lovely glass of Shiraz. Shortly I will slap the PlayStation on and get stuck into L.A. Noire for a bit. Yeah, this is how I roll. Actually I don't roll any more. It hurts my knees. These days I get a cab if I'm going anywhere further than my fridge. Rather than thinking of it as abject laziness mixed with an enfeebled under-exercised body, I look on it as putting something back into the local economy. I'm practically fixing the deficit on my own. No thankyou's are needed. Just send me your vodka and your better looking younger sister. Ta.
And that's what I did on my holiday.
No comments:
Post a Comment